I love traveling, but I hate that I am off my game. We have been living out of suit cases for several weeks now and my runs have been hit or miss. We have spent the last week securing important things like cable in our new house. We also got new cell phones and found gyms. We joined both the local YMCA and the Gold's Gym. I love the family atmosphere of the Y, the pools, and the kid programming. That said, the weight room is pitiful. I have dealt with a sorry weight gym for several years now where I am one of the only girls that lift heavy and I am tired of it. So, we joined Gold's as well. I will maintain the Y membership until the kids start school if for nothing more than the pool membership. I ran twice last week at our new YMCA on the treadmill. It was OK, a bit hot and boring, but at least I had TV. We went for a lift at Gold's and the equipment was so cool. It was great to be in that weight lifter's environment. Now, if I could just find a running partner.
We also got to a running store this week. It has been 4 years since I have had my stride evaluated and my shoes were dead. Unfortunately, the store only carried one style of Mizunos. I have worn Mizunos for the past 6 years. The new guy at my new running store said that my stride was almost perfect and I had corrected most of my pronation. In other words, it only took me almost 7 years to learn how to do this sport. That allows me to branch out and try some new shoes. So, I am now sporting a new pair of Asics in a lime green color. For just a minute I was afraid that I was going to end up in a pair of pink shoes like E. I like the bigger toe box and narrow mid foot and I have no pain from my last 2 runs.
We expect to be in our house on the 9th with furniture delivery. I am really trying to be patient, but I am stressed to know that I have not only several races, but also a marathon this fall. I have given up on any time goals for any of these runs, but the marathon concerns me. I don't care how fast or slow you intend to run a marathon, if you don't do the training and have the utmost respect for the distance, you will fail. So, I am anxious to move into my new house and get on with my new schedule of living.
How are you guys?
Monday, July 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm not good running-wise. I ran 5 miles on Saturday and thought I hurt myself. My feet felt like I'd been walking barefoot on concrete all day. Just sore and tired. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bum pair of shoes. There just aren't enough miles on them to warrant this.
The pain in my toes was still there, but tolerable. I just bought metatarsal pads so I'm going to try them out. I also haven't run since Saturday, so maybe the break will help. If I'm still hurting by this weekend, I'm buying new shoes.
I'm off my exercise routine as well ~ I got a lot of swimming in while in the islands but now we're in the mainland. Eating out and no exercise makes a really bad combination for me.Not to mention we'll be sitting in the car for hours on end :( I'm hoping once we get to Kansas, I can utilize their gym and walking trails. Do they have a swimming pool at Ft. L?
Patti- Yes they have 3 pools here. One is indoor (Harney) and the Lap Swim is M-F from 5:30am-7:30am & 11am - 1pm. The other two pools (Grant and Hancock) are outdoor with various open swim times.
If you're staying at Hoge Barracks, Harney Pool is just across the street. Also, you will have access to the trail around the golf course. It's about 2 miles around and is the one I use. I don't use the gyms on post but I've heard many say it's nice.
It's also a ghost town here so you won't have a problem with things being to crowded. CGSC is on their summer break and the most of the new class hasn't arrived yet.
See you soon!
E,
Hang in there. I was plagued with injuries for 2 years while my body adjusted to the stresses of running. I know you have been tested a lot. I have been able to run in my new shoes 3 times. I think they are OK, but the outside edge of both feet are sore. I don't notice it when I am up and moving around, but when I get up from bed they make me gimp. I am not sure if it is the new shoes or even if it is an issue.
Patti - I remember Haney pool to be great. Ian took his swimming lessons there. I also enjoyed the gyms. Hopefully, you will accompanied by FM while there.
Has anyone heard from Christy lately?
I am still alive. Just blah and boring. I have been lazy. That said, I have been running maybe once a week, but I have a full plan laid out for the month of July...exercise included. It's just so darn hot out.
But, my focus is really on losing about 10 pounds, so one long set run/walk each weekend, two days of spinning, two days of lifting and a maybe second run. I do have a training plan laid out in my planner that takes me up to race day.
I am thinking about making my long run/walk ten miles, at least once, just to see how it feels. Maybe I will be able to tell you about it by Sunday.
Post a Comment