Monday, July 9, 2007

Lots of questions

Have I mentioned it's hot here? I won't complain about it again, but misery loves company and I sure wish one of you lived here too! I desperately need a running buddy. I ran 5 miles this morning and thought I would melt, but at least I didn't have any pain in my foot. I give credit to the 5 days of rest I took last week. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

I have a few extraneous questions. First: how many of you wear your iPod on your arm? I see people doing this and I have the strap, but I've never tried it. I always just put it on my waistband. Is there a pro to wearing it on the arm that I don't know about? I'm thinking it wouldn't work too well with my favorite earplug headphones since the cord is really long.

Also, do any of you have the running skirts? How do they feel? They look cute and I'd like to try them, but I'm afraid they'll feel binding. On the topic of clothes: anybody know of a good brand of rain jacket for running? All the rain jackets I can find are too heavy/hot, and the running ones all seem to just be wind breakers and don't keep you dry.

This one is embarrassing. I admit, I'm having trouble with chub rub. Actually, I think it's a sweat problem. I got chafed really badly a few days ago on my inner thigh. It drew blood and actually scabbed. I made the mistake of wearing generic athletic shorts and not running shorts and the stitching on the inseam was really bulky. I figured it was just the shorts, but my running shorts did the same thing today, just not quite as bad. I've run in these shorts dozens of times and not had this problem, and I haven't gained weight, so I'm pretty sure it's from the extra sweating and stickiness. Anyway, how do I prevent this? I could wear biking shorts underneath, but the idea of putting on another layer is really repulsive right now. I could try vaseline (get your minds out of the gutter--I'm serious here) but that doesn't sound appealing either.

Lastly, should opposing muscles be the same strength? I mean, should I be able to lift the same amount with my triceps as with my biceps? Or my hamstrings and quads? I wouldn't think so because they're not equal size, yet I know if one is overdeveloped compared to the other, then that can cause injury.

If anybody has some answers or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I always have an opinion. :)

If you want to try your ipod on your arm you can wrap the extra cord around the ipod so it doesn't get in your way -otherwise it will.

Hate running skirts -although I do see a few runners out there with them. I found that they bunch up high to give the freedom you need.

Look for Patagonia jackets. They make awesome clothing for the mountains so you don't die from wetness and very lightweight so you can pack them with you.

Lube for your chub rub, biking shorts won't help. bodyglide.com is one brand or your running store should have something as well.

The most important thing with muscles is that you work the underdeveloped one as much as you can in the gym to help prevent injury, but the larger muscle like the tricep should be able to lift more before fatigue than the bicep.

E said...

Thanks Rachel! I'll try the Patagonia brand. I actually like to run in the rain--it's the only time it cools off down here.

I'll see about the skirt. I've heard that they eliminate chafing, so I was interested in trying them. It's probably just a marketing ploy though.