Monday, April 20, 2009

What have I done?!

I can't believe it, but I actually signed up for the Disney Half Marathon. It was 90% full so I jumped on it. Now I'm sitting here freaking out! My heart is racing (and not in a good way) and it's almost 9 months away. I'm sooo second-guessing myself now.

Can I do this alone? That's a long way to go all by myself. Especially for the first time. I have to get on the bus at 4 am! The race starts at 5:50! I have no idea how to navigate corrals, baggage check or even the water stations. I guessed that I could finish in 2 1/2 hrs, but now that I've said that, I have to provide proof. I can do 11+ minutes, can't I? I thought that was slow enough that I wouldn't be in the corral, but anything under 2:45 requires proof of finishing. So now I'm feeling pressure to perform well enough in the 10K to back up my claim.

What if I melt? Seriously, I'll be going from Alaska to Florida in the dead of winter. I'm sure to have heat stroke. My training leading up to it will all have been done on a treadmill. Can I really get a 12-mile run in on a treadmill? Central Florida isn't known for its hills, but there's bound to be a bridge somewhere. I'll be going from 20 % humidity to 80% humidity and an increase in temp of probably 100 degrees.

I didn't see anything in the instructions prohibiting an iPod, so that makes me feel better. Without my music, I'd be done. 2 1/2 hrs is way too much time with myself. I just keep thinking, "What have you gone and done you crazy fool?" What's the worst that can happen? I fall behind the 16-minute pace cutoff and have to be driven to the finish? Never mind. I'm not making myself feel any better.

4 comments:

Vianne said...

Whoa, slow down!

OK, Congratulations!

Now...Of course you can do this alone, but if you are worried about logistics, and that is reasonable, ask a friend to go with you to be the bag girl. I'm thinking a trip to Florida from AK in January is a good deal for anyone.

You'll be fine in 2 1/2 hours, and yes, you can do 12 miles on a treadmill. I had to do 18 facing a wall in Hohenfels before my first marathon. Suck it up; move on. We'll talk more about coping strategies on the treadmill later (two jelly beans for every mile, frozen grapes, etc).

You need the 10K for confidence. You'll feel better when you have that done. Keep those people from Biggest Loser in your mind. I put that soundtrack on my Ipod to remind me of their heroic struggles.

Now, shut up and run.

Billie said...

Agree with, V...you can totally do it!!

Long runs on the treadmill do suck, but you can do it. You just have to figure out whatever gets you through the miles. Concentrate only on a couple a time....and before you know it you're finished.

As for heading from frigid cold to high humidity and warmer temps...how about you just set up the treadmill in the smallest room possible and buy a space heater. It'll give you the heat difference just not the humidity...or you could also buy the humidifier and crank that bad boy up, too. Either way, I think the break from cold and icky AK to warm and sunny Florida will do the trick. Everytime the season turns from winter to spring my spirits are in much better condition so it has to do the same when you go from Alaska to Florida.

Just try to enjoy the training...you've got a while to get there!

4HB ME said...

What a fun run! We were in Orlando in March and the weather is soooo perfect! Not at all hot, not humid, but not dry like NY. I think you'll really enjoy it. And you'll totally be able to make the pace. That's twice my longest distance, but 16 minutes is walking - even for me! I bet you won't have any problem keeping it under 12 min. I don't envy your treadmill training, though!

Christina/Christy/Chris said...

I have NO DOUBT that you can do it E, especially with music. Skip the bag check, take pre-race essentials with you in a plastic throw away bag, and have D hold your bag and know where he will be at the end of the race. (I am guessing he and the kids will be there to cheer you on at some point.) The race will be over before 9am, so I don't think that melting will be any kind of factor in January, even in Florida. It should be like a great spring run for you. Don't fear the cut-off time, even if you walk part of the race, you will finish well ahead of 16-min miles. I would come run with you if I could!!!