Monday, April 13, 2009

Coming back.....for, like, the tenth time?

Yes, I fell off the wagon. Again. But I'm back on it! Again! I hadn't run in about 6 weeks. Just way too much going on with family visits, R&R, birthdays, holidays, etc. Yeah, I know, I could quote the line from "Platoon": Excuses are like a__holes, everybody's got one. So no excuses! I also have a huge motivator--the 3 extra pounds I saw on the scale this morning. How did that sneak up on me? Must have been all those meals out, birthday cake, Valentine and Easter candy, s'mores at our neighborhood party, etc. At least I showed restraint and skipped the ice cream.

I've run twice in the last few days. Soreness is gone and it feels incredible to be able to run outside without my ski mask. 28 degrees would normally be cold, but it felt like summer to me. No fogged glasses, no wet breath on my cheeks, and snot rockets instead of snotsicles! It was a slooooooow 3 miles each time, but that's OK. Again, just being outside felt great.

I'm considering joining Team In Training. I really need a training partner, but I'm a bit of a snob about who I'll accept, so that's why I'm thinking this would be a good group. I want someone at or beyond my ability. I know the organizers and they are fast. I don't need someone to motivate me to get out there. I can do that on my own. I need someone to push me outside of my comfort zone. I'd like a chatterbox who will keep me distracted and not expect too much conversation in return. I told my husband I wanted a trainer--someone to tell me what to do, and when and where to do it. With where my life is right now, I want to be someone's running puppy--just drag me around wherever they go!

The marathon here in September is supposed to be one of the hardest anywhere, so I definitely need someone to push me in the training. The only thing stopping me would be if the training runs are always in the evenings/Saturday mornings. I can make a few of these, but the cost/logistics of babysitters make it easier for me to do my runs during weekday mornings when they're in school/daycare.

I don't know that I'll do the marathon here, but I'd like to at least do the 3-person relay. I'm definitely doing the Midnight Sun Run, a 10K at the end of June that starts at 10 pm. And I'm about to sign up for the Disney Half-Marathon if it hasn't sold out already. Nothing motivates me like registering and having that non-refundable fee nagging at me. Being cheap has its advantages!

2 comments:

Vianne said...

OK...lots to say and little time:

Welcome back.

Love the quote from Platoon and use it often.

Love Team in Training. Snob that I am. Wish I could take you on as my running puppy. We could always set up an email check in. Report your miles or suck. NO details..."I did 3 miles, good night." Would be good for me as well. There was a time I used the blog for just that. May be time again.

Take the plunge. Sign up. Commit the money! I am all for the cheap committment.

Ran tonight. Ipod played Remember the Name and Kerosene. Couldn't help but think of you.

Miss you.

Anonymous said...

I fell off the wagon too - sucks doesn't it! I finished the 1/2, and then just 'rested' for much too long. I've realized I have to have an event to train for or I just won't do it. How cool would it be to say you ran a marathon in AK?!?