This weekend, Tanner has a full 3 days of sand soccer. Actually, Virginia Beach will host about 9000 soccer players at every level for the North American Sand Soccer Championship. We have decided to spend the weekend on the beach at one of the local hotels on the strip for the excitement.
Our packers come Monday through Wednesday the next week with the house hold goods picked up on Thursday. That puts us back at the hotel before we start our drive west on Saturday morning, the 14th.
That gives me this week to really prepare for the packers. I need to sort out, pack for the trip, clean, etc. I also have my last appointments...dentist, doctor and hair. However, it is also the last week that I have for good quality workouts before I lose control for several weeks. I did 10 miles yesterday (with 90 degree temps and soaring humidity). Today, I ran 8 miles and got in a great lift.
Tomorrow is the doctor. I am not sure that I told you guys that I think I have a small abdominal tear. It feels like I think hernia would feel, but there is no protrusion. From what I can research, it seems to be a thing with distance running...a sports hernia. Hurts like hell. I haven't been able to do abs for about 2 months. I feel it about 6 miles and with several lifts, like pull ups. It even hurts when I roll over in bed. Anyway, I have an ultrsound scheduled for tomorrow.
So, I am trying to juggle all the appointments, things to do in the house, and my workouts for the week. It is also Ian's last week of school with finals. He leaves for the Naval Academy Summer Camp on Saturday and is back 2 days before we drive. On and on I go. It is not like we haven't done it before (yeah, like ? times). And knowledge comes from that experience...the knowledge that I have to really relax for about 3 weeks for the move, unpacking and settling before I can come back again. This week I am praying for the motivation and creativity to find a way to get it all in just one more time. Wish me luck!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Is Ian thinking about the Naval Academy? That would be very cool.
Hi Nicole,
Hard question...
Ian is exploring lots of options and how great that he has lots of options. We are thrilled with his selection to camp, which normally implies that he is competitive for an appointment. He is also looking at Duke, Baylor, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion and University of North Carolina. He wants to study engineering (physics) or forensic chemistry. It sounds quite ambitious, but he is really enthralled with physics, specifically nuclear engineering.
He is concerned that he won't like Academy life and the structure it requires. He would like a "typical" college experience. He wants an ROTC scholarship with a plan to go active duty for at least 5 years.
The bottom line will come next year when he has offers. I also expect him to come back from Annapolis fired up with some of his preconceived ideas dispelled. I guess we wait and see.
Oh, did I mention there's a girl involved?
I've always thought the Naval Academy seemed like a cool place (and I thought this waaaaay back when before I really knew a lot about military life)--not to take anything away from Westpoint. I have a cousin who will be a high school senior in the fall and she's one of those "perfect" students....great grades, outstanding test scores, and great community leadership...but I've noticed that she has LOTS of people trying to give her advice and I'm not too old to remember how much people love to give advice. :) I think, if I were that age, that I, too, would want a "normal" college experience. Of course, the word "normal" means something different to each student. :)
C's cousin just finished her first year at the Naval Academy and loves it. From what I remeber it was the summer camp that got her hooked and all other schools lost out already at that point.
Her opportunities far exceed anything 'normal' could have done for her, but college is awesome where ever you go.
Post a Comment