I did get through the last good week before the packers. We spent this weekend at the beach for sand soccer (way much fun), so it was easier to get to my store for Saturday long run. I don't know about you guys, but our temps have been record breaking (100's) and the humidity is almost unreal for this time of year.
My run was quite bittersweet. Since I was staying at a hotel at the beach, my route to get to the store also happened to be part of the marathon route that we ran. It was the worst stretch and a couldn't help but smile as I remembered the misery of it all. Anyway, I love this run from the store (running path through the neighborhood), into the park (trails) and then out to the ocean front (ocean!). It was really hot and humid; about 80 degrees at 7:30AM. Thankfully, there are water stops along the way. I didn't feel like I was sweating any more than normal when I was running, but the minute I stopped, it was like every pore in my body opened up and just poured sweat. I don't think I have ever been that wet when it wasn't raining. We did 11 miles at about an 8 minute pace. I think that's really good considering it felt fairly easy and the weather was so challenging. Apparently, the heat index was so high there was a heat advisory. We saw two people on the trail fall out and need help. The kids playing soccer at the beach were limited to 7 minute intervals of play time due to the heat. The EMS crews truly earned their paychecks.
I was sad to leave the store. The owners have been so good to me and Pete. Jerry gave me a big hug in all my post-run nastiness. He has really encouraged me, pushed me and then sincerely celebrated with me. I will really miss him, the store employees that have been so positive and supporting, as well as the running community that I have met here in Virginia. I plan to rent a beach place next summer when I bring Ian back to the east coast for college. I am already thinking about the next time I get to do my favorite run.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like this weather is preparing you for your new life in south Texas!
Post a Comment