Friday, June 20, 2008

Rehab is over

No excuses anymore--today is the first day of my return to running. I am bound and determined to get out there, even though it never seems like I have time. The weather is beautiful and is supposed to hit 75 today and 80 tomorrow! A heat wave for Alaska and I can't wait! Baby is 2+ months old now and I haven't lost any weight in weeks, so I definitely need to get out there.

They have two great programs here. One is a gym with childcare on site--typical for public gyms but unheard of on-post. I can't wait to check it out. The other is during the schoolyear. It's regular childcare on M,W,F for 3 hrs in the morning just for working out. I'm so excited about that one. This way, I'll always have a spot reserved and be able to have a reliable routine. And it's only $40/month!

This weekend is the Midnight Sun Run, a half marathon celebrating the fact that it doesn't get dark here this time of year. It's not something I feel like celebrating though! I'm hoping a little run will get me so tired I can sleep despite the light. I'll take my camera just in case I see a moose. I don't have my bear spray yet, but I'm going to take my chances and hit the trails today!

3 comments:

Vianne said...

I am screaming to run. It has been a week and it is not happening in the next few days. Maybe Wednesday. We are entertaining tomorrow without our furniture. Monday the truck comes and the CSM Change of Responsibility. Tuesday is the Change of Command. Maybe Wednesday.

How cool that the childcare thing is not an issue! On site at the gym?!

The wildlife thing would spook me. I seem to have a talent for bringing animals out of the woods.

Angie said...

We have onsite daycare at the gym on post here too. I'm not sure about reserving a spot...that sounds perfect!!! Here you have to get there before 9am or you'll have to wait for a spot to open up. They fill up fast.

I also want to throw in that I've lost all but 5 lbs of baby weight. And my last 11 lbs was during the move on post. YAY! Me! And YAY for your return back to running!

E said...

Great job Angie! I'm stuck at 9 lbs, at least I was the last time I had a scale. PCSing usually isn't kind to my waistline. We probably won't have our HHG until late July, so who knows what I'll weigh then!

I'm with you V--I don't like the wildlife. I didn't realize it until I went running. I didn't take my iPod because I wanted to be able to hear any animals and maybe get a good picture, but every sound I heard made me jump. My heart couldn't take many more adrenaline jolts so I brought my music the second time. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Weak, weak, weak. That's my impression of my first two runs. My heart and lungs felt good, but the muscles aren't there. Hips felt the worst, but even my abs were sore. And I only went 1.5 miles! You gotta' start somewhere though.