Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wetsuit Question

Hello ladies! I hope everyone is doing well. New York City is HOT. FYI.

I've been doing great on the bike now that I have giant pedals! My last ride outside in the park was about 16 miles. Getting the hang of it and actually starting to like it (a little).

So, now I have to switch gears to think about swimming again. I have to get a wetsuit. Here's the thing... I don't want to buy a wetsuit for a million dollars. I found out you can rent them from Xterra. You tell them your size and they send you one for the race weekend.

Ok. Here are my questions. First of all - is that gross? Wearing someone else's wetsuit? Second, am I going to need to practice getting this thing on? All the books suggest that it's hard getting in and out of them. Third, should I get a full body one? Or the tank one? The water will be about 74ish degrees. Rachel - what did you use? Any tips?

Thanks guys! Cath

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I had a pool swim...thankfully since it was a high of 42 that day. My next Tri on post has a pool swim again. I have researched wet suits considerably and this is was I know.

I would definatley rent, there is no reason to buy one until you know if you like the sport or not. If I were to need one I would rent and then buy next year (and since I spent all my George Bush money and then some on a new bike this year). I would go with the full body (especially if you end up buying that way you only need the one). Full body will keep you warmer and give you more buoyancy. You want to look for one that has 5mm thinkness on the chest and top of legs and 2mm for the armpits (for range of montion).

Be very careful putting it on and taking off the first time I have heard of people tearing them (then they are done for). You will also want to grease yourself up with bodyglide or a similar product to get it off quicker...the more you use the easier it will be.

Good luck, I once ordered a speed suit like the Olympic swimmers wear based on my measurements. It took me an hour to get it on and another hour to get it off...I sent it back for my money back (all for not having to shave my legs every othter day) :)

Is your Tri is coming up this month?