I have two days left of being pregnant (finally!) and I've already got my "training plan" worked out in my head. I put that in quotes because I don't really think of it as training until I can actually run and it will be a little while before I build up to that. But my short term goals are all laid out. I've even got some potential 5K fun runs/walks lined up.
I'm giving myself 2 months before I plan to run. If I feel up to it before that, then I might try, but running isn't in the plan until after we move. After 9 months of holding down the couch, I'm starting from scratch so the beginner walking plan is for me. How appropriate that an article in this month's Runner's World is about how to start from a zero fitness level and build up to running. I would expect this article to come out in January for all the New Year's resolution people, so somebody must be reading my mind!
I have a friend who's a marathoner and she had to take time off during her pregnancy too. Her dr told her that the cardiovascular demands a pregnancy places on the body is enough to maintain the cardiovascular fitness she had before getting pregnant. If that's true, I just need to build muscle and endurance (no small task). It will be slow-going and frustrating at times, but I'm in no hurry. As long as I can get outside and move, in any capacity, it will be wonderful.
Wish me luck this weekend and I'm pretty sure delivering a baby counts as an equivalent cross-training activity for running a few miles, right?
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Delivery = how many miles?
Hmmm...your delivery or mine?
Yours - 5K
Mine - Marathon
Good luck and I am praying for fast and easy.
Post a Comment