So the Iowa State Patrol investigator came by Friday and reenacted the accident for us and gave us a little more info. The gal, 21 years old, had been text messaging, on her way to a tanning session, when she glanced up and saw my dad but it was to late. She tried swerving to miss but there wasn't enough time/room. She hit him almost directly from behind. He flew up on the hood and hit the frame of the car (where the windshield meets the roof) with the back of his head (breaking his helmet). It fractured his skull and lacerated his brain stem and he died immediately.
She did not have insurance (which is law in Iowa) so my mom gets nothing, no burial costs or settlement. Hard pill to swallow since she has enough money for a cell phone and tanning sessions but no insurance. She received a $750 fine.
The days have gotten tough. I was dreading the Tri, but ran into someone my mom works with whom I know and she is doing it as well so that makes me feel better. Training is none existent at this point, I am hoping to swim tomorrow. This town doesn't have a pool :) so I will be traveling three towns over to swim in theirs. I still need to time myself for my approximate finish/start time. It is warming up and everyday I have hopes of biking outside but every warm day has brought 40mph sustained winds. :(
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You're in my thoughts, Rach.
Oh Rachel. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. I'll pray.
As for the training - andreline (how do you spell that?) will carry you through on race day. You have the base training - you have a strong foundation and seriously, you will be fine for the tri.
Sending loads of good thoughts your way. Cathy
So sorry for your loss, Rachel. Though I don't know you I just want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts. I hope the law changes from this incident and incorporates a tougher punishment for things like this!!!
$750? I'm stunned. Isn't that like involuntary manslaughter or something? No criminal charges? I know no amount of money would make this better, but I'm so sorry that there doesn't seem to be any justice. Wish I could do something to help.
That's terrible! I thought the same thing as E...criminal charges?
I hope your wind dies down. Hang in there.
Involuntary manslaughter doesn't apply to vehicles in the state of Iowa and vehiclular homicide only applies if it is willfull.
SO I called the vistim's advocate to see if they could do any thing, but since she wasn't 'commiting a crime' there is nothing they can do.
Who knew that mowing someone over while on your cell without insurance in perfectly legal.
That's just one of those things that should be consistent throughout the 50 states...it's not good that some states have it right and others (apparently) have it very wrong.
Post a Comment