Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ready or Not!

Well, it is taper time. 2 Saturdays ago, I did my last 23 miler. I did it in 3:10 this time and finished much stronger. By the way, I did it in the pouring down rain on muddy trails. The trail had puddles so big you couldn't go around them and you couldn't jump over them. I have never been so wet in my life. It could have been worse. At least the wind was down and it wasn't very cold. I ended up with the worst rash I have ever had under my arm. I completely ruined my shoes, but it was probably a good time to get a new pair anyway.

So, this new pair of shoes... I don't know when I am ever going to learn. I have run in Mizunos for years now. Every time I try something new, I get hurt. So, my running store hosted the last long run with support from Brooks shoes. A Brooks guy was there with all the new shoes and of course, they are the "best." I know better than this. So why is it that I think 3 weeks before I run a marathon it will be Ok to try a new shoe? 15% off should not have that much influence over me. The guy tells me I will never want another shoe after I run in this one. The selling point was the additional cushion in the forefront where my neuroma is. It did feel better when I walked around in them. Mind you, I had just finished 23 miles and my shoes were ruined. Anything would have felt good. So, I bought them.

I didn't put them on again until I ran on Monday. They felt too big. I had Pete feel them (like I am 5 years old and can't tell if my shoes are too big). Yep, they are too big. Apparently, my feet were so swollen after the run that I needed a 1/2 size bigger than usual. My street shoes are a 6. My Mizunos are a 7 1/2 for plenty of toe room. The Brooks 7 1/2 were way too big.

Oh well, I decided I could run in them anyway. I laced them to be tighter around my ankle and took off for a 7 mile tempo run. I had a great run, but my feet hurt like I had tied my shoes too tight. I checked, they weren't. The tongue of this shoe is kinda weird. There is a cut out in the middle which leaves a pointed edge on either side. Would you believe, they bruised me? I thought I may just need to get used to them and get a smaller size. I exchanged the shoes and tried again. This past Saturday I did 14 miles and they hurt the whole time. This is stupid. Thankfully, my store gives you 30 days to try a shoe and if you don't like them, you can exchange them for something else. I am running back to Mizunos. If I ever say I want to try something new, please slap me.

On another note, I am starting my taper. I have decided to really cut my miles but increase my intensity when I do run. I know some of you are thinking I am already too intense. You may be right, but I just am not fit to live with if I cannot run hard every now and then. So, I have not run since Saturday and this morning, I did 5 in 36:50. I feel great. I will run one more time before a weekend run of 10-12. Then, I have one more week before the big day. I probably won't do much at all that week, but rest, stretch, eat and hydrate. Instead, I will get my hair done, finally see the dentist and start organizing for the move. I'd rather run.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am not looking forward to taper week and it's not for 8 weeks. I had my first 'easy' week and hated it... very hard to not keep going when you feel so good... and then I read about possible weight gain with tappering... how do you manage not to put on pounds?

Vianne said...

Hi Rachel,
Each time I have trained for a marathon, I have lost a bit of weight, so tapering is a good time to put a few pounds back on. When I get up to 40 miles a week, I find it difficult to eat enough. During the taper, I catch up again. Not too much because I want to run fairly lean. I just want to fill the hollow in my cheeks a bit.

That said, I still watch what I eat and it is still clean. At the end of my high milage weeks, I didn't care if I eat more bread or more carbs. Especially the carbs since I burned so many. Now, I watch the carbs, lay off the bread and stick to grilled meats and veggies. I also don't need as much for lunch, so I split it into 2 little meals. I think I am wandering. Here's a typical day during taper:
Breakfast(7:30): 3 egg white, maybe one yolk. Mini bagel and fruit.

Lunch 1 (10:30): Cliff bar or protein bar and yogurt.

Lunch 2 (1:30): mini can of tuna with Kashi crackers or lean lunch meat rolled up with mustard and fresh spinach and fruit.

If I am hungry and dinner is late, I have mini popcorn, a handful of nuts or granola.

Dinner: grilled meat, steamed veggies (I do use a bit of smart choice spread and fresh dill) and maybe a small portion of roasted potatoes or brown rice.

I never deny myself food if I am hungry, but I don't eat just because I want something in my mouth. If I am working out on a day during taper, I eat a bit more (I am also hungrier). I still have my snack before bed, but I watch portion. I have more time on my hands and I find that I want to graze. That's OK as long as I am not also sitting down to big meals. That's why I went to 2 little lunches with a possible snack.

The 3 days before the race are the most important. That is when I will start the carb load with plenty of hydrating. Those 3 days of eating are critical to glycogin storage so I don't worry about calories then.

Your thoughts?

Rachel said...

I'm screwed. :)

I am on full-feed majority of the time (I do eat healthy however), I gained two pounds on my easy week (...not that anyone but me can notice and it's already gone, but...) but I like the hallows of my cheeks and never deny my hunger, I guess I will have to just change my mindset to, I will burn it all off on the big day!?! :)