Sunday, March 22, 2009

No One is Going to Feel Sorry for Me!

Well, my marathon vacation is coming to an end. It was beautiful and sunny this morning, although a bit cool. It quickly warmed up by mile 5 as I found an easy pace, and some old friends from my old running store. The first half went fast and we started the long boring part out to Ft Story, through Post, and then back to the beachfront. The back half is essentially 4 5Ks. By this time, my hamstrings and calves were screaming so I focused on one mile at the time. More than once, I thought I was going to cramp.

In many ways, I felt better than I did last year at this race; and then in other ways, I hurt more. I am certainly more tired and sore this evening. More training may not have made me faster, but it sure helps with recovery.

I did a 3:32 and some change. I am very happy with my time. Last year was my best with a 3:28, but this is great considering a full time job, 2 kids; one of which is graduating and a husband in Brigade Command. The worst...I placed 4th! You guessed it, only top 3 awarded. That really sucks and I am stomping my feet; but no one is going to feel sorry for me.

An even greater feat is that Pete did his second marathon with very little training, only weeks out of NTC and only weeks short of deploying. I really appreciate his determination, focus, positive attitude. He's not worried about time and he truly enjoys most races; although, he would tell you that he has found his distance at the 1/2 marathon length. How's that for No Excuses!

On a side note. Ian was accepted to Virginia Tech with a full ride in the Corp of Cadets. We are very proud. Thanks for your well wishes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your accomplishment - amazing time even if it wasn't your personal best!

Christina/Christy/Chris said...

I will feel sorry for you. Only because I know that if you knew you were that close to placing, you would have totally pushed yourself a little harder.

I have been thinking of you on vaca this week. I just told Husband today that you guys were doing a marathon while on vacation and his reaction was, "No way, V do a marathon as a vacation, I don't believe it!!!" That, you know, was with his FULL sarcasm.

Give my congratulations to Ian, that's wonderful! But, I am confused, I thought he was thinking about West Point and looking at Duke. We really need to catch-up!

Rachel said...

4th place does suck, but what a great vacation!

Billie said...

Congrats, V! It stinks to get so close to placing but at least you know you still did a great job, especially considering how busy you have been!

4HB ME said...

Hey, you! The Keatings must have walked a marathon all over Disney for Spring Break, but it took us a week! I'm sorry you didn't place - I know that must bug!

Ryan is planning to run his first marathon in May. Never thought I'd see that!

We're thinking of doing the Army 10-miler this year. Right now, I doubt I could run/jog the whole thing, so I guess that's my goal? Or depending on logisitics, I may speed walk a stroller. I could use some training tips, as I hate running, am very slow and have no idea how to best improve.

Kinda wish Ian was coming to West Point. Would have been fun to sponsor him. We're here one more year. Tried to move on this summer, but USMA lost a couple TACs early, so we were denied. Ryan is going to be the Brigade Tactical Officer's XO. Should be cool, but I know he'll miss his company of cadets. I think he'll still have a small company of cadets to mentor in the Bde HQ.

I'm facebooking a lot, so my blog suffers. Posting Spring Break pics to the blog now.

Miss you and would love to catch up!