Saturday, March 21, 2009

Kick in the A** Needed

I am in major need of some motivation or better yet, discipline...with my diet! Exercising, not a problem, hard core, with 5.5 weeks left to my triathlon, I will physically be in top shape and I have potential to do great if I can get my eating under control to support those great workouts. I have never had this problem before and am not sure what to do or how to control it. I will do good for a couple of days, get a sweet tooth craving, and it all goes down hill from there only to 'start' over in a week or two. Ideally, I would like to cut 2-3% body fat on top of the health of it. Any ideas or suggestions? I have never followed a 'diet' before, any luck with that perhaps?

6 comments:

Vianne said...

Rachel,
Training hard always makes me eat a lot more. I think you probably know all the "right" things to do, so I will tell you about a nutrition book that I love and fall back on regularly. Unfortunately (not really), I am still at the beach and I don't remember the name. It is written by Liz Applegate and is a nutrition book for athletes, but it is not overly scientific. She even breaks things down by sport, or muti sport. I found that I could use her information for any stage of training and for my entire household.

Good luck. BTW, I have found that I can tolerate more fat than white sugar. But, again, you already knew that.

Christina/Christy/Chris said...

I wish I could help. I would be absolutely no help in getting past the willpower issue, especially with sweets. I gave up candy for lent and it has been killing me the past few days. But, I have a few sweet things that I don't think are too bad if you want to keep some desert in your 'diet'.

One thing that I have found that is super yummy and seems much more sinful than it is is Greek yogurt. I buy Oikos by Stoneyfield Farms vanilla non-fat and mix in a teaspoon of homemade strawberry freezer jam. The stuff actually has about 15 grams of protein and is super good. Another favorite is the Ben & Jerry's FroYo (frozen yogurt) that has chunks of brownie & cookie dough in chocolate ice cream. (Don't be too afraid based on the brand, it's low fat and has all the good cultures of yogurt) I will usually eat one scoop along with a teaspoon of peanut butter on top. Finally, South Beach has some individual packs of cookies that are chocolate with chocolate chips and a chocolate bottom that are good, 100 calories and high in fiber. Our Wal-Mart here carries all three.

Hot chocolate made with milk is also a fave, I wish I knew the name of it, but I just found my new favorite at World Market. It's Italian, really dark and rich and not too sweet. The packaging is brown with a light blue stripes. I bought a sample pack last week and I am definately go back and buy the can or box or whatever it comes in.

Rachel said...

V, I have the book I will have to pull it out and read it again, I pretty much know what to eat, the problem is not eating all the crap.

V, Here's another question, I have been debating weither or not to supplement with Whey powder. Typically it makes a person add mass which I don't want. Do you use when training?

Christy, I will look into the products, they may help.

If anyone were to stop by right now they will think I lost my mind. I put my self on the bikini model skinny diet. :) I printed off pictures of bikini models and have them hanging all over my house (pantry, fridge, computer, grocery list). I have no intentions of looking like them but they are a constant reminder to try and eat healthy, the sick thing is it actually works for me. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, to bad husband is deployed he would probably enjoy this 'diet'. :)

Billie said...

Good luck with the sweet thing! It's tough! I, too, do the thing about printing off photos and sticking them different places. I tore some out of my oxygen mag and put it on my fridge and pantry, too. It helps a little but sometimes it is just too hard not to indulge. One of the things I make if I am in the mood for something sweet is a crustless pumpkin pie. I use fat free evaporated milk and splenda and voila, you have yourself a healthy dessert...and really it can be counted as a veggie. I don't like using too many artificial sweeteners but every once in a while can't be that bad, right?

Roxxi said...

I am on weight watchers and my "sweet tooth" craving is Jell-o sugar free pudding. They have only 60 calories and the sugar free Jello has 10 calories. Might help....

4HB ME said...

I much, much, much prefer Stevia over any other sweetner. I've read over and over that the others, even my beloved Splenda, wind up slowing down your metabolism. Wish more sugar-free products used it.