Sunday, February 8, 2009

Max Heart Rate

V....

About a year ago (I think it was) you gave Cathy some info on how to more accurately set your max HR. I can't find the info...only Cathy's results. I'm assuming I'd do the same thing...could you help me out?

I normally just do the old 220-age...which I am sure I am at. But I know as you get in shape it changes...so that's why I'd like to see your instructions again! :-)

Thanks!

3 comments:

E said...

I know V can provide a more knowledgable answer, but until she hops on here I'll tell you the method I used.

On any step that is about 8 inches high, begin a 4-count sequence of stepping as in: up, up, down, down.

Do a 30 step sequence/minute, for a total of 3 minutes or 90 steps. Write down your hrt rate when you're done.

Choose a "fitness factor" using an honest assessment of yourself and add this number to your heart rate. Poor fitness: 35, average: 45, excellent: 55, fit: 65.

This total is your max heart rate. Mine came out considerably higher than using the 220 method. Makes me feel better about how high my heart rate has been on my runs. I'm glad I did this!

Vianne said...

Hi Billie!
I love this test and it is probably as close as you can get. You can also do intervals of about 1/4 mile with 1/4 recovery. Do several to get your heart rate as high as possible. I don't know that either is perfect, but you will get close. Good luck and welcome back!

Billie said...

Thanks! I'll have to try this tomorrow at the gym.