So I went to the doctor this week. I am not sure I told you guys, so forgive me if I bore you.
While training for the marathon in VA Beach, I had some pain in my lower right abdomen. Well, everything and anything hurts those last few weeks so who would know if something hurt or was injured?
I did see a doc before we moved, but things were inconclusive. It feels like I think a hernia would feel...burn, sting, hot, but I never found a protrusion. Now, I only feel pain when doing lower abs, long runs at about 9 miles or shorter runs if fast.
So, I finally went to a doc here. You know, this process is just painful and maybe worse than the pain in my belly. First I make an appointment with a general doc. Yep, I have an issue, maybe this, maybe that. Must be referred. See doc #2. He determines I have strained my illiosoas and the bursa sac is irritated or burst (in other words, I have bursitis). Now, I must see doc #3 for physical therapy. The prescription calls for 3x per week! How inconvenient!
Now what? I am not sure I told you guys that after my great running vacation I was just sure I should suck it up and do the El Paso marathon March 1. (but you knew that was coming didn't you?) It won't be my best time; in fact, it is likely to be my worst, but I think I can do it. Now, this is interfering. I know that I am not causing permanent damage, just pain. I could do the marathon and then do the therapy.
I can't do a race this fall since Pete deploys, Ian graduates and I need to take him to college on the East Coast. That would be a good time to take a break and try to heal.
So, the truth is I hate to give up a chance to do another marathon. It is calling me in my sleep. That said, I feel foolish for not taking care of an injury. Of course, I was assured no permanent damage, just pain. I have done 3 marathons with each one netting a better time. It sucks to know I will have to slow down.
If this were not enough, I also struggle with long run routes. Off post is not very appealing for a woman running alone. It's not risky, but I wouldn't call it the safest area. Lower income, big fences, even in the front yard, with big fighting dogs jumping, barking and growling. Scary! what's left is running in circles on post for miles and miles.
I know I am whining. Why is this so hard? I cannot seem to make a decision. My plan today is to run 18 this weekend. I will do 10 off post alone. I am fairly confident about one route through a few neighborhoods and then up Scenic Drive, which is a hell of a hill, but a gorgeous view. Then, back to post for my normal 8 miles. If I can do that and feel fairly good, I should be able to gut out the marathon. Of course, I will have to schedule a 20 and a 23 sometime before March 1, but at that point it's all perspective.
One option is to try to do a perfect 4 hour. Solid 9 minute miles with perfect splits. Then, I could be a pacer! That would be cool!
Aren't you glad you don't live in my head?!
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Could you be a pacer for the 1/2 since you already run that much? It wouldn't go beyond your normal runs anyway and you could still do your PT and heal - God forbid you actually take some time for yourself to heal:) And I'm sure there are some marathons coming up in December in the area that you could train for after the craziness of the beginning of Fall. Or find one somewhere and plan a trip with your youngest to get away.
You can't do the marathon and PT? Do they want you resting while doing therapy? It's only about 6 weeks you'd be delaying therapy, and that's if you could get started immediately. If the pain is tolerable and I had your mileage/speed, I'd do the marathon.
Pacing would be fun--at least you'd have people to talk to along the way!
If it were me, I'd do the marathon if I already had my entry paid for...that being said you act like this is your last chance, what about the next 50 years? Yes, we may slow as we age but there will always be age group records to beat.
You will figure out what's best for you and you can thank your mind for finding balance for you :)
Post a Comment