Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello from 6,600 miles away!

Hi Ladies!!! It's your long-lost buddy - Cathy! I have been in Baghdad for about a month now. Lots of new experiences in just that short period of time! I'm very proud to be here.
Here's the thing I really wanted to share though!!! I ran my first race here a couple weeks back. Boy I wish I had a picture to post for you guys!! It was a short one - 5k - but it felt amazing.
First of all, it was the last race on the Palace grounds (we gave it back to the Iraqi's today) - so, it was my sole opportunity to experience the palace as a racer.
The race started at 7am - and, fyi? It's cold in Iraq in December... No race chips. No bib numbers. Just a refresher of the bunkers along the route and a "go!" and we were off.
We ran the perimeter of the grounds twice. It was a little awkward running with all of my badges swinging around my neck - but you got used to it. Once I settled into my pace, I just soaked it all in. The guards cheering me on, the soldiers running past me, everyone else running past me, figuring out my steps in order to jump over the speed bumps without a) falling and b) screwing up my breathing etc... thinking how cold I was, thinking about my nose running faster than I was... it was a great experience and a pretty wonderful way to spend a morning.
It's humbling running these small races, though. There's no crowd to get lost in. I beat maybe ten people that morning. About 80 beat me. Doesn't matter - but it's something you just don't "feel" in these other huge races, you know? It has to really just be about running when it's something this small, because there's no anonymity - everyone knows if you come in last (or tenth from the bottom, as the case may be). But, I'll tell you one good thing about coming in near the bottom. You have all those people waiting at the finish line (a speed bump) cheering for you! I loved it.
I have been running - but not a lot. I've been biking more (in the gym, of course) and really focusing on weights. I've had to be vigilant with food - which is good, free and everywhere. Thankfully I have Fred here - who, when I told him my first week... "I'm being good. A healthy breakfast, a decent lunch, an okay dinner and just one dessert a day" he screamed "NOOOOO! That's how it happens!!" Apparently it's like college - very easy to gain 15 pounds.... I've gone down a couple - thanks to Fred's guidance and my new workout plan. I've got to just stay the course now!
That's it for now. But, I hope you guys are well and please keep my posted on your races. Sometimes we have sister races here - so we can finally have the chance to run together!
Happy new year!!! Cathy

2 comments:

Vianne said...

Hey Cathy! Welcome Back! You have been in my thoughts since I foudn out that you deployed.

Congrats on the race. Keep running and know that we are certainly with you in spirit.

Rachel said...

Happy New Year, Cathy!