Friday, May 9, 2008

Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Well, it has been about 8 weeks since I received the "go ahead" from my doctor at my 6-week check up. I was set to get right into action and that has yet to really go as planned. Life has been a little busy for us and I had wanted to start working out right after our move (that was about a month ago). I had big plans to really start getting back into shape while we have been at my parents' place in Minnesota but we were welcomed with snow. It melted a few days later and I did get out and jog/walk a bit. Then it snowed a foot again. Since then I've been really bad about getting back out there.

Trying to time the workouts is well, difficult. Plus, I have self-diagnosed myself with Pregnancy Related Pelvic Girdle Pain (otherwise known as symphysis pubic disorder). I had issues with this during pregnancy and I guess most women probably do. As I keep reading up on it I get a bit upset because it says my doctor should have assessed it more than saying "well, that's just one of those things that happens during pregnancy." It did hurt a lot more when I was pregnant but even now just walking at a faster pace hurts so I am trying to take it easy since that is supposedly all I can really do until my body stops producing relaxin.

I am getting a bit frustrated because I really want to get back into shape and running was my way to "get away" for a while. And of course, I hate feeling the fat bounce up and down on my ass. Seriously not cool. And running is about the only thing I have found that really works for me. Has anyone ever had this post partum and if so can you offer some advice? I guess until it starts to feel better I need to be better about doing my pelvic floor exercises, keep doing my yoga DVDs and possibly hopping on the bike. I haven't tried the elliptical either so maybe that will be ok.

I'll appreciate any advice!

2 comments:

E said...

Hey, another postpartum runner! It's only been a month for me so I haven't started running yet. I have walked 2 miles a couple of times though so I'm making slow progress.

I had severe symphysis pubic pain during my 2nd trimester, but it eased up when the baby got big enough to come up out of my pelvis. Thankfully, most of that pain is gone for me now.

I do notice some soreness if I walk too quickly, so if I tried to run right now I'm sure the pain would stop me. Sounds like the same thing you're having.

I don't have any tried and true advice, but I would recommend doing what you can and stopping if you have pain. I think the pain comes from the weight-bearing and the jarring when you land, so perhaps swimming, water aerobics or water running would be good. The bike sounds like it might hurt (the leaning forward position seems like it would put pressure on the pubic bone), but try it and see.

It will improve and eventually go away, at least it did for me with my previous pregnancies. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Rachel said...

Wow! Something I actually didn't have wrong with me. I wouldn't try biking until it's gone -unless you use a recumbrant (sp?), maybe that would be okay. I would agree with E and give swimming a try, that's the best bet for any injury/pain.

Good luck, getting back into shape isn't easy, 6 weeks post baby I realized why there are so many fat people, it's a lot of hard uncomfortable work getting past the wall and back into shape.